Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Talk of Men: 27 Jan 2011

27 Jan 2011

Reading: Ephesians 4:11-16 (NIV)

In what ways are you an infant? In what ways do you act like a child? In what ways, then, do you act like a man of God?

I see two possible outcomes of being an infant that is pointed out here in scripture (not mutually exclusive but non-conflicting), and I'd like to focus on the second. I've had some pretty painful experiences this week in this area, so this section not only rings some bells but also inspires me to be more than I am.

14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by (1) every wind of teaching and by (2) the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.

I don't see any other way to read this other than that if we do and achieve the first part of the passage (as indicated by the "then we will no longer...") the second parts will occur. So, this unity, maturity, and fullness of Christ that Paul is talking about is what is required to no longer be blown here and there by the "cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming". This week has been particularly difficult. But the only person I can really change is myself. If there is something about me that is perpetuating this effort, this behavior that seems to be so pointed at me, it is me that needs to change. When we as the body of Christ pull together in unity (defined or described in the previous verses), the knowledge of God, and become mature, we can move on from infancy to adulthood.

In what ways do I act like a child?


Prayer Requests:



Todd's Condition
> Praise that Todd is showings sings of being on the path to engraftment.
> Praise that Todd is feeling well and that he is able to be relatively independent in the hospital right now.
> Continued prayer that the donor cells are strengthened and take over the body. When the hospital does a Chimerism test, we want it to see 100% donor cells.
> Continued prayer that God would strengthen Jen, as she is taking care of most of the things at home, while visiting Todd in the hospital.
> Continued prayer for Todd's health, that when his immune system is so low, that he would not get sick at all. Todd's White Blood Cells (WBC) are up to 0.4, the last I heard.


See Todd's Blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this passage both because the imagery is helkpful to explain the passage and because it is so applicable (for me peronally) to my faith journey.

In trying to understand the concept of maturing past infancy into being a man of God, I've found it helpful to focus on the act of accepting that you are a part of the body, with God at the head. I think so often, we punish ourselves for not being peaceful enough or sacrificing enough, or strong enough or... When in reality, we should focus on God, then let his love and peace and strength flow through us as we assume our rightful position (calling) in the body.

So much easier said than done!